by Jake McMillan
The 2001 UK Census notoriously recorded the many Jedis that reside across England and Wales, with a total of 390,127 people (0.7% of the population) stating they were Jedi Knights or followed the Jedi religion. With the 2011 census being carried out on Sunday 27th March, I call upon people to declare they are a Sith (the evil version of Jedis, e.g. Darth Vadar, Darth Maul), or a Sith Lord and/or follow the Dark Side in the optional Religion question of the census.
The result of this action will mean that the 2011 Census will show that British people in the last ten years have turned evil, recording that we have converted from being good Jedis to following the Dark Side of the Force.
Don’t worry, you don’t have start dressing up like Darth Maul or Darth Vader, but you might want to give yourself a Sith Lord name, Darth [Whatever you like].
Remember this will not have any negative impact on the census itself and so you can decide to do this for any of the following reasons:
- Just for fun
- Rebelling against the government/bureaucracy
- Objecting to or do not wish to disclose your religion
- Want to baffle and confuse future historians
- Have an impact on a historical event
- An intellectual desire to record the impact of popular culture in today’s society
- You are actually an evil Sith Lord
So, whatever your reason, please state you are a Sith or following the Dark Side for the 2011 Census religion question.